Thursday, October 22, 2009

A glitch in the matrix



There seems to be something wrong with the world when someone can need a power meter so badly that they have no money to buy it, yet finance it on a 12 month payment plan with the latest CTS offering. Foreclosures are at an all time high, unemployment is soaring, but you can still have that PowerTap you "need" if you don't have the money for it...

I thought of a lot of interesting things to mention on this, but none were better than what BikeSnobNYC already stated way more eloquantly than the Lemming ever could,

"While a power meter is certainly an important tool for a professional cyclist, the bulk of them are of course sold to amateurs who misinterpret their amateur status and poor results as signs that they need to spend a huge amount of money on a power meter when in fact their amateur status and poor results are actually the very reasons they don't need a power meter. If you're an amateur, buying a power meter to train is like hiring an accountant to tell you how broke you are or like buying an iPhone just to check your Cannondale stock. Yet amateurs not only buy power meters, but they think $1,000 for a power meter is actually cheap."


Of course, I only found that gem after an anonymous commenter let me know I was ripping of the snob by re-posting the "You Suck" power meter. Unfortunately I hadn't seen the bikesnobnyc's posts in awhile since they are set to do previews in the feed and I just can't risk "the man" seeing me browsing websites all day no matter how great they might be. Our work has the motto, "The beatings will continue until morale improves", and I just can't take another beating. Of course, I realize I borrowed that funny saying from someone else more clever than me as well, no need to let me know...

The lemming mentioned that he's going to spend the rest of the day going around to blogs and informing people that they are ripping off someone else if they re-post something, he said he's going to start with the "Performance" video...

1 comment:

Steve A said...

What's a power meter? I've seen references to same, but do they somehow give you more power? I've heard they rattle. Does that mean you can ride on a path without having to have a bell or yell out "passing on your left?"

Hmm. Seems I obviously am missing out here. Perhaps I ought to ask the guy on that Serotta I pass about it...